2-day Leadership Training (5-6 June 2018)
2018 Mentoring events
• Why are diverse teams more successful?
feminno Lunch Talk on 1 June 2018, 12:15 – 13:15 h, University of Basel, Kollegiengebäude Petersplatz 1, Mehrzweckraum 035
with Klaus Gehmann, Syngenta Agro AG, Basel
Since 31 years with Syngenta and predecessor companies. Various leadership positions in Research & Development at global and country level. Currently working for Africa & Middle East.
This lunch talk is part of the feminno career program for women in Life Sciences.
The lunchtime discussions deal with the framework conditions for an active and equal career for highly qualified female academics.
The talk will be followed by a discussion and time for networking.
Sandwiches and refreshments will be provided.
The open discussions aims to create awareness about equal opportunities and work environments where men and women may pursue a fulfilling career.
Maximum number of participants: 50
Contact: Dr. Ute Budliger, program coordinator feminno
• Life-Balance and Academic Careers 18 May 2018
• Company visit: Pricewaterhouse Coopers, 3 Mai 2018, 15:00-19:00h
Location: Birchstrasse 160, 8050 Zürich, http://www.pwc.ch
We meet in front of the main entrance at 14:45h to get our batches etc.
• Introduction to PwC and to feminno
• Gender diversity at PwC
• Health Industries (Healthcare and Pharma Life Sciences) - the industry, our people,
our clients, case studies etc
Increase your understanding about work and career opportunities at PwC with the focus on gender specific topics, working models, careers in Research & Development. Further, participants should reach out to the employees, discuss their innovative ideas, and build their network.
Participants should mind their individual Action Plan!
Number of participants: feminno only
• Innovation seminar (5 workshops)
Location: HG F 33.1 (ETH Zürich) Time: 18:00 – 22:00
Dates: May 2, 5, 16, 23. Closing event on 9 July
Sandwiches will be provided.
2 May: Where does innovation come from? Introduction to the basic principles of innovation management. Can your idea generate products?
Dr. Andrea Degen (eurelations), Dr. Janine Antonov (Unitectra)
8 May: Gender-based perspectives in the innovation process
Does my idea offer gender-based application scenarios?
Nicole Schaffer (Schaffer Research, Wien)
16 May: Business canvas and other tools. How to apply these tools to develop and present marketable prototypes
Dominik Wensauer (TechBridge)
23 May: Financing your project. Presentation of various European and Swiss start-up
Dr. Andrea Degen (eurelations)
9 July: Closing event – Participants present ideas and innovation ecosystems (5 min each)
Dr. Sharon James, Global Head of Innovation & Development (Bayer Consumer Health)
Development of an innovation ecosystem to mature ideas into innovation
Individual Performance and Assessment
Presentation of innovation ecosystem
• Lunch talk, 18 April 2018
What I need to know when applying for a job in the industry
Lecturer: Dr. Roger Gfrörer. Download presentation (PDF, 2267 KB)
ETH Zürich, room LEE E101, 12:00 – 13:00 h
Information and discussion about career readiness.
Sandwiches and refreshments will be provided.
Contact: Ute Budliger
2017 Mentoring events
- Public engagement with science (April 2017)
In a mini symposium, students learned about the relevance and approaches of public engagement with science. During the symposium, they discuss what can be gained for science in general and for research projects of participants. In addition to the symposium, two public future forums on sustainable agriculture were conducted withe the involved participants. PhD students admitted. Course description (PDF, 215 KB)
2016 Mentoring events
- Industry visit: Frutarom, Wädenswil, 7 Nov 2016. Established in 1933, Frutarom is a rapidly growing global flavor and fine ingredients company. It is rated among the ten leading companies in the world in the field of flavors & fragrances. The site in Wädenswil focuses on health solutions. Here, plants are important for the creation of new ingredients.
- Science & Policy Mentoring: Careers in Science or Policy, or both? (20 Sep – 6 Dec) This course offers perspectives on possible career paths at the interface of science and policy. It is structured as input-talks, followed by rounds of discussion. Recent graduates, including PSC PhD program “Science and Policy” alumni and more senior professionals will present their career paths in government, politics, NGOs or private companies. Guest speakers: Simon Briner (FOAG); Franziska Humair (FOEN); Claudia Boelter (KWS SAAT AG); Sabine Perch-Nielsen (Ernst Basler + Partner); François Meienberg (Public Eye); Friedrich Wulf (Pro Natura, Friends of the Earth); Dominik Klauser (Syngenta Foundation); Eva Spehn (SCNAT); Michele Garfinkel (EMBO); Thomas Marty (Berinfor AG); Thomas Brooks (IUCN) and Claude Garcia (ETHZ, CIRAD).
- Welcome event for new PSC PhD Students at ETH Zurich & University of Zurich (7 Sep)
- Industry visit: Ricola, Laufen (BL), 16 June 2016. Opportunity to visit the family owned company that produces the most famous swiss sweets. The group visited the production and packaging site as well as the herb center, where the famous 13 herbs are processed before extration.
- Diversity Management course, 24–25 May 2016. How do you manage the diversity of staff in your research group, how do you deal with gender and cultural differences? How do you build a good working atmosphere to boost the performance of your group? Lecturers: Dr Hilde Janssens (trainer & consultant in science, Austria) and Dr Monika Clausen (Dr Monika Clausen & Netzwerkpartner, Switzerland). Target audience: Advanced postdocs, group leaders, starting group leaders and junior principal investigators.
- Lunch Brown Bag: How to prepare for an ERC grant application in 2017 with Switzerland as a Third Party (29 Mar 2016), with Dr Andrea Degen, Eurelations AG
- Lunch Brown Bag: How to apply for a job in the Industry (1 Mar 2016), with Roger Gfrörer from the Career Service UZH
2015 Mentoring events
2014 Mentoring events
- Welcome to new PSC PhD Students at ETH Zurich & University of Zurich (2 Oct)
- Welcome to new PSC PhD Students at University of Basel (12 Nov)
- Lunchtime Workshop, Accessing resources to improve teaching skills - how to get meaningful experience (14 Oct)
- Lunchtime Workshop, Introduction to PhD Program in Science & Policy (21 Oct)