The Zurich-Basel Plant Science Center (PSC) is a competence center that links and supports the plant science research community of the University of Zurich, ETH Zurich and the University of Basel.
The PSC promotes fundamental and applied research in the plant sciences. We seek creative approaches to research mentoring and coursework for students and postdocs, and we provide platforms for interactions with peers, policymakers, industry and stakeholders. We help graduate students put together the right package of classes in the plant sciences, statistics, policy, communication and other transferrable skills. And, we help match students and PIs with appropriate funding sources to take on some of society’s most important questions.
- Facilitate cooperation and enhance research synergies at national and international levels
- Promote fundamental research in plant sciences, at scales from molecules to landscapes
- Initiate and support inter- and transdisciplinary research, thereby exploring new horizons in plant sciences
- Apply the results of research in plant sciences and create added value to ecosystem management, sustainable agriculture and protection of biodiversity
- Guarantee future competence in the field of plant sciences by providing excellent teaching and training programs
- Advance the curricula in plant science education with innovative learning concepts, materials and courses
- Intensify co-operation with business, politics, and government
- Encourage dialogue with the public by contributing a scientific point of view to social, economic, and political topics